Thursday, May 3, 2012
Journal#31- Job Shadowing
For my job shadowing experience I went to Memorial Medical Center. I was assigned to 2B which is like intermediate post surgical care. It is ironic because my mom used to work on 2B. She expected that my experience would be boring. And it was. I was pretty bored the entire time. Other people got to draw blood, give people plasma, etc. You know what one, single, thing I got to do? I could to retrieve a clean pillowcase. And that was two minutes before I left. The person I shadowed was named Lindsey. She has worked in the unit for about four years. She just had a son a year ago and his name is Mason. Her shift starts at 7 am. but she has to get there at 6:45. Her shift is 12 hours long and she gets off at 7pm. The first thing we she did was change the dressing on a gentleman's legs. He had cellulitis that created enormous blisters that had to be drained. We spent the rest of the time going around giving people meds, etc. We had a lot of down time. I also spent a lot of time standing around, sitting, doing nothing. This lady came in and she had a skin graft on her leg. There was also a man who got away with smoking an entire cigarette in the ICU, and he was coming to 2B, but I didn't get to see him. If I got to see him, that might be the most exciting thing I got to see all day. I already knew that I didn't want to be a nurse because my mom is a nurse and I knew for sure that I didn't want to do that as a career. So this was a pretty unuseful experience. I wish i could have got assigned to where I asked, like oncology, or OB. But, I got put in a position that I had no interest. It was a fun day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment