Sunday, August 21, 2011

F451 - Final Opinion

I think that Fahrenheit 451 was the best story I read on this summer's reading list.  It was intriguing and drew me in with every chapter.  The characters were original and had such interesting qualities within them.  I think that the society that they lived in was so unrealistic that it forced the reader to stretch their imaginations up to the story and open their minds up and that is the point where i think a lot of readers were just sucked into it.  There is great irony with the character Beatty, such hope with Guy Montag, complete dissatisfaction with the character of Mildred Montag and a peak interest in the little bit of time we see the character Clarisse.  The basis of this story is very unique and I have not read something near to the main detailed points of the novel.  The fact that this society has firemen that do not go to people's houses to save lives, but yet go there to burn them down with the books inside is definitely an intriguing point within Fahrenheit 451.  I think Bradbury's novel has some similar aspects with other science fiction novels I have read.  A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley very might well be my favorite summer reading novel that I have read.  It has similar qualities to Fahrenheit 451.   Both are trying to create this great Utopian society and both go terribly wrong.  This future is possible yet it is hard to imagine because it seems so far off.  In reality it could be closer than we think. One of the most powerful examples of this is a quote from Clarisse.


“Are you happy? (Bradbury 10)”  This could be the ultimate question that puts our human race into a spot like that in Fahrenheit 451and A Brave New World.  It is a scary thought reading these unrealistic books, but in reality, their plots are not quite that unrealistic.


Bradbury, Ray. Fahrenheit 451. New York: Ballantine, 2003. Print.

1 comment:

  1. Great discussion - keep in mind that books like this are quite often meant to be political statements as well as entertainment.

    ReplyDelete