Sunday, August 21, 2011

F451 - Quotations

Fahrenheit 451 has a few quotations in it that I have found to be quite interesting to think and analyze. Since these blogs are written to analyze part of books, why not just analyze my favorite quotations?


"It is a pleasure to burn. It is special to see things eaten, to see things blackened and changed.(Bradbury 3)" 
In this quote the reader can see the idea this society is trying to portray.  They want everything to be the same so there is no war and no fighting.   They will change such a huge impactual way of life just to achieve this.  It is a sad thought but it is a realistic outcome of life.  Anything is possible.


"What traitors books can be! You think they're backing you up, and they turn on you. Others can use them, too, and there you are, lost in the middle of the moor, in a great welter of nouns and verbs and adjectives.(Bradbury 107)"  Here we see that Beatty has a lot of actual and factual knowledge about books and literature.  It is beyond me why he is using his knowledge to explain that the knowledge he is using is actually irrelevant and wrong.  That is an example of huge irony.


"So now do you see why books are hated and feared? They show the pores in the face of life. The comfortable people only want wax moon faces, poreless, hairless, expressionless.(Bradbury 83)" This quotation is important to the story because the reader can finally depict the reason people started burning books in the first place.  People are honestly scared of what the world would come to, but in actuality, they are making the problem far off worse than it was to begin with.


"Nobody listens any more. I can't talk to the walls because they're yelling at me. I can't talk to my wife; she listens to the walls. I just want someone to hear what I to say. And maybe if I talk long enough it'll make sense. And I want you to teach me to understand what I read."  I think this is the braking point of Montag.  This is the point in his life where he cannot stand to live the life he is leading and he wants to change it and feel happy as well as complete.  I think the reader can be very understand of Montag at this point because his thoughts are realistic when he is living in an unrealistic society and story.


Bradbury, Ray. Fahrenheit 451. New York: Ballantine, 2003. Print.



No comments:

Post a Comment