John Steinbeck uses many techniques to engage the reader and entire audience into the story Grapes of Wrath. In my opinion John Steinbeck used symbolism and themes to engage the reader more than humor. I think that it all really depends on the reader. If the reader takes a liking to humor they are going to get what they need out of the storyline. Whereas if the reader is more perceptive to symbolism, schemes, and themes throughout the story they are going to have their own perceptions of the story's meaning that are going to be different than the other person who relates more to the humor, suspense or drama. I see the themes and symbols as the driving force behind it all because steinbeck uses those morethank any other techinque in m,y mind. Many classic stories are set and drivem by morals so I do not see how this story could be driven by humor when its intellect is mainly resignated through torturous and depressing events within the Joads sad life. Rose of Sharons preganncy was a common symbol as was the theme of man versus man or the selfishness of other. I found it interesting how intensely selfish people were and that is what engage me in the story. As i said before, I like to perceive how people see things and react to things. It all depends on the readers opinion. "I'm a-gonna tell you somepin about bein' in the pen. You can't go thinkin' when you're gonna be out. You'd go nuts. You got to think about that day, an' then the nex' day, about the ball game Sat'dy. That's what you got to do. Ol'timers does that. A new young fella gets buttin' his head on the cell door. He's thinkin' how long it's gonna be. Whyn't you do that? Jus' take ever'day.(Steinbeck. 130)" This is where the reader can see that the main basis of this story is on morals and learning lessons. Ma Joad realized she still needs to learn lesson like Tom did in prison.
Steinbeck, John. The Grapes of Wrath. New York: Penguin, 2002. Print.
No comments:
Post a Comment